Novak Djokovic shares retirement decision after – Sports News
Novak Djokovic says Friday’s thrashing by the hands of Jannik Sinner won’t be his final Wimbledon match on Centre Court. The 24-time Grand Slam winner was taken aside by Sinner in a straight-sets beating which was over in much less than two hours.
Djokovic seemed dejected at instances during the match, and at 38 years outdated, many are questioning whether or not repeated defeats to Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz have pushed him nearer to retirement.
But Djokovic cleared up any uncertainty in that division during his post-match press convention, saying: “I would be sad [if it was my last] but hopefully it’s not my last match on Centre Court.
“I’m not planning to complete my Wimbledon profession immediately. I’m planning to come back back, undoubtedly, no less than one more time.”
Djokovic suffered an awkward fall towards the end of his quarter-final win over Flavio Cobolli, and the after-effects seemed to be bothering him against a younger, quicker and more powerful Sinner.
The seven-time Wimbledon champion found himself two sets down after an hour’s play, and although there were hints of a resurgence when he went up 3-0 in the third set, Sinner then went on a run to clinch the match 6-3 6-3 6-4.
Djokovic has now lost his last five consecutive matches against Sinner. Rafael Nadal is the only other player to match that run, managing five in a row between the Beijing Olympics in 2008 and the Madrid Open in 2009.
Djokovic has also lost successive Wimbledon finals against Alcaraz, in five sets two years ago and in straights last year. This time round he won’t even get the chance to avenge those defeats as he makes way for the two youngsters to take centre stage.
Alcaraz came back from two sets down to beat Sinner in a five-set epic at last month’s French Open final. And Djokovic thinks fans will be in for another nail-biting clash on Sunday.
DON’T MISS:
John McEnroe ripped aside for Wimbledon commentary in savage assault
Agassi awkwardly snaps at Wimbledon co-commentator – ‘Don’t ask me that’
John McEnroe presents shock shout for one of the ‘most proficient’ gamers
“I believe I’ll give a slight edge to Carlos as the favourite as a result of of the 2 titles he is received right here and the way in which he is enjoying and the arrogance he has proper now,” said the Serb.
“But it is simply a slight benefit as a result of Jannik is hitting the ball extraordinarily properly. I believe it is going to be, again, a very close match-up like we had in Paris, yeah.”
Stay forward of the sport with the newest developments within the sports activities world! Our web site is your final vacation spot for sports activities information, delivering complete updates, in-depth analyses, and skilled insights into the fast-evolving realm of athletics. We convey you day by day protection on the whole lot from breakthrough coaching techniques and rising crew methods to main bulletins which are setting the tempo within the sports activities industry.
Discover how these trends are redefining the aggressive panorama! Visit us recurrently for participating and informative content material by clicking right here. Our meticulously curated articles cowl game-changing ways, investment alternatives in sports activities, and key milestones in immediately’s dynamic athletic enviornment.
