Exclusive | Stephen Colbert insisted on announcing – Business News
“Late Show” host Stephen Colbert insisted on announcing that his top-rated program could be canceled — simply hours after discovering out cash-strapped CBS wouldn’t renew his hefty contract, The Post has realized.
The late-night star was informed by community brass late Wednesday evening that his reported $15 million to $20 million contract wouldn’t get picked up and that they have been going to tug the plug on the show, in keeping with a well-placed source.
Colbert — who had returned from trip two days earlier and blasted CBS-parent Paramount Global for settling a high-profile lawsuit with President Trump during his monologue — determined the subsequent morning that he would waste no time in sharing the choice about his destiny, the insider added.
“He wanted to tell the world,” the source mentioned. “CBS said OK. They taped with an audience and had to get the news out there before the audience or staff leaked it.”
Stephen Colbert insisted on telling the world that his bosses cancelled “Late Show.” AP
Colbert broke the information to the shocked studio viewers at The Ed Sullivan Theater in New York’s Midtown during taping at 5:30 p.m. ET on Thursday.
“It’s not just the end of our show, but it’s the end of “The Late Show” on CBS. I’m not being changed. This is all simply going away,” Colbert mentioned to a refrain of boos.
Less than two hours later, CBS despatched out a press release that included the taped feedback, which might air at 11:35 p.m. ET that evening.
A rep for CBS confirmed the community labored with Colbert on rolling out the announcement.
Colbert’s show was canceled days earlier than he referred to as CBS’ settlement with Trump a
“bribe.” csuarez
Paramount co-CEO George Cheeks, who oversees CBS, claimed it was “purely a financial decision” to tug the plug on the late-night staple, first-launched by David Letterman in 1993. Colbert, who took over internet hosting duties a decade in the past, will keep on the air till May of subsequent yr.
The Post reported that the show was dropping betweek $40 million and $50 million yearly, and that promoting had slumped together with general viewership. Meanwhile, Puck News reported that the show’s annual manufacturing value was a sky-high $100 million.
A source conversant in the scenario mentioned that each one the late-night exhibits have been battling paltry viewership and declining rankings, however that Colbert’s show had greater prices, making it arduous to justify persevering with this system.
“If it was losing money like that, then it had to be canceled,” the source informed The Post.
CBS mentioned the show’s cancellation was financial. According to studies, the show had a finances of $100 million and had been dropping $40 million yearly. AP
However, a number of left-leaning pundits and lawmakers speculated that Colbert’s regular diet of anti-Trump rhetoric, together with final Monday over the Paramount settlement, performed a pivotal position in killing the show.
“I believe this kind of complicated financial sentiment with a sitting government official has a technical name in legal circles. “It’s a ‘big fat bribe,’” Colbert quipped.
“Because it all comes as Paramount’s owners are trying to get the Trump administration to approve the sale of our network to a new owner, Skydance!”
The settlement of the lawsuit has been seen as serving to pave the best way for Trump’s Federal Communications Commission boss Brendan Carr to greenlight Skydance Media’s $8 billion acquisition of Paramount.
CBS has beforehand denied that ther settlement and merger talks will not be linked.
Colbert’s final show will probably be in May of subsequent yr. CBS by way of Getty Images
“I’ve lost interest in extreme POVs on either end, but I see this as a chilling of free speech and the timing seems to send a strong message that this is cause and effect for what he said about the settlement,” a CBS staffer informed Fox News.
“The CBS leadership could have cloaked it somehow, but made a decision not to.”
On Monday, “Tonight Show” host Jimmy Fallon and different prime comedians have been anticipated to rally round Colbert and make a cameo on “The Late Show,” The Post completely reported.
