Montero Bar & Grill to get new life as it marks 90 – Business News
A beloved, 90-year-old Brooklyn dive bar with a seafaring legacy will get pleasure from new life as the newest acquisition by a main operator of Big Apple maritime-themed venues.
Montero Bar & Grill at 73 Atlantic Ave. close to the Brooklyn waterfront has been offered to Crew hospitality group, which operates 10 Big Apple venues with a whole of round 1,200 seats. They most just lately launched 20,000 square-foot Yacht Club overlooking the Hudson River on the Starrett-Lehigh Building.
Alex Pincus, who owns Crew along with his brother Miles Pincus, is a longtime pal of Pepe Montero, who’s run his fabled saloon for many years since he took it over from his father, Macedonian-born Merchant Marine sailor Joseph Montero.
The 90-year-old Montero Bar & Grill at 73 Atlantic Ave. close to the Brooklyn waterfront has been offered to Crew hospitality group. Sebastian Lange
“I’ve been going there for years,” Alex Pincus instructed The Post. “I often stopped by on the way to and from Pilot,” Crew’s close by place in Brooklyn Bridge Park.
“Pepe said to me, ‘I want to retire, so when you gonna buy this place?’ This was before the pandemic and I thought it was a joke,” Pincus recounted.
“Then he said it again about six months ago,” he continued.
“We had long talks about its future. We want to preserve it as a piece of living history.”
He stated Crew will take it over in March.
Montero was a go-to for generations of longshoremen working the close by docks, however in latest instances was embraced by professional-class residents of Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights and the Columbia Street Waterfront District. Sebastian Lange
Crew proprietor Alex Pincus, proper, is a longtime pal of Pepe Montero, who’s run his fabled saloon for many years. Sebastian Lange
Montero was a go-to for generations of longshoremen working the close by docks, however in latest instances was embraced by professional-class residents of Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights and the Columbia Street Waterfront District. The inside behind a classic neon signal and cloudy glass home windows appears a lot as it did a half-century in the past with classic harbor work, journey mementoes, ship wheels and life preservers.
Pincus stated Crew would keep Montero as it was.
“I don’t want to change much at all,” besides to re-activate a small kitchen that’s been idle for a few years, he stated – the “Grill” half of the bar’s title was long out of date.
The inside behind a classic neon signal and cloudy glass home windows appears a lot as it did a half-century in the past with classic harbor work, journey mementoes, ship wheels and life preservers. Sebastian Lange
“It isn’t really run-down, it’s very clean. I find it very beautiful. What we’ll do to it is minimal,” Pincus added. “This is what we do, take historic entities and give them new life.”
Bistro’s farewell
Chez Napoleon, one of the theater district’s final surviving conventional French bistros at 365 W. fiftieth St., will serve its final escargot de Bourgogne and coq au vin on Jan. 31 after 65 years in business, proprietor Williams Welles introduced.
Chez Napoleon at 365 W. fiftieth St. will close Jan. 31. Google Maps
The cozy, family-run spot that prided itself on “transporting guests to the charm of old-world Paris” was based in 1960. Chez Napoleon / Facebook
The cozy, family-run spot that prided itself on “transporting guests to the charm of old-world Paris” was based in 1960. It fed generations of French seamen during the close by port’s transport heyday, together with theatergoers, vacationers and native residents since then.
“Chez Napoleon has been our life’s work,” stated Welles, who owned it along with his mother, Elayne Bruno.
He didn’t cite a particular cause for the closing however stated, “Too many economic, staffing, personal and structural factors have finally forced us to shutter our small business for good.”
