Intel says it got $5.7B from US government, | Business

Date:

Intel says it got $5.7B from US authorities, – Business News

Banner Ad


Intel acquired $5.7 billion in CHIPS Act funding as half of a deal that provides the US authorities a 10% stake within the struggling chipmaker, the company mentioned.

Intel finance chief David Zinsner mentioned the company got the money infusion Wednesday and in addition hinted that it would possibly search different exterior investments during an investment convention Thursday.

“There’s likely going to be some opportunity for outside investors in foundry, and that will probably be our second opportunity to raise cash to fund the growth on the foundry side,” Zinser mentioned.

Intel CEO Lip-Bu Tan talking during the company’s annual convention in San Jose, California in April. REUTERS

Last month, Intel reported second-quarter earnings that beat Wall Street estimates, however its shares plunged 8% on account of issues round its foundry unit, which manufactures chips for different corporations.

Meanwhile, the company is going through stress from the White House at hand over a sizable stake within the company. 

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt mentioned Thursday that the main points are nonetheless “being ironed out by the Department of Commerce.

“The T’s are still being crossed, the I’s are still being dotted,” Leavitt mentioned. “It’s very much still under discussion.”

Charlie Gasparino has his finger on the heart beat of the place business, politics and finance meet

Sign up to obtain On The Money by Charlie Gasparino in your inbox each Thursday.

Thanks for signing up!

In a company submitting Monday, Intel warned that a deal with the US authorities might lead to “adverse reactions, immediately or over time, from investors, employees, customers, suppliers, other business or commercial partners, foreign governments or competitors.”

“There may also be litigation related to the transaction or otherwise and increased public or political scrutiny with respect to the Company,” it added.

President Trump demanded Intel hand over a 10% stake in its company in exchange for federal funding. Ron Sachs/CNP / SplashNews.com

Trump introduced the deal with Intel quickly after assembly with the firm’s CEO Lip-Bu Tan – and backing off his earlier requires the boss to instantly resign.

The president had demanded Tan step apart on the heels of a letter despatched to Intel’s board by Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), who accused Tan of having ties to the Chinese navy and Communist Party.

Trump reversed course a few days later after assembly with Tan, alongside Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent.

Tan, who was born in Malaysia and grew up in Singapore, took the helm on the embattled chipmaker after Intel ousted Pat Gelsinger following dismal earnings and several other rounds of layoffs.

Lip-Bu Tan took the helm at Intel after Pat Gelsinger, who led the company by way of a period of dismal earnings and several other rounds of layoffs. REUTERS

Intel was awarded $8.5 billion from the Biden-era CHIPS Act final 12 months underneath the Secure Enclave program, a national security initiative to make microchips for protection and intelligence functions.

The funding was later slashed by more than $600 million to about $7.85 billion however Intel nonetheless ranks as one of the highest recipients of federal funding.

Clickable Banner
CWP (Crypto Work Pro)
CWP (Crypto Work Pro)https://www.cryptoworkpro.net
Hi, I’m a passionate cryptocurrency enthusiast with 10 years of experience in the world of digital currencies. I’ve always been fascinated by blockchain technology and the potential of decentralized finance (DeFi) to reshape the financial landscape. I share insights, tips, and strategies to help others navigate the fast-paced world of crypto.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Red Lobster bringing back ‘Endless Shrimp’ deal, | Business

Red Lobster bringing back 'Endless Shrimp' deal, - Business...

The simple fixes conservatives say could make life | Business

The simple fixes conservatives say could make life -...

Napa Valley vineyard ravaged by 2020 Glass Fire | Business

Napa Valley vineyard ravaged by 2020 Glass Fire -...

Paramount hits back at actor Mark Ruffalo over | Business

Paramount hits back at actor Mark Ruffalo over -...

Stone Brewing to leave SoCal while laying off | Business

Stone Brewing to leave SoCal while laying off -...

Dave Portnoy backs Pizza Hut rebrand as ‘brilliant | Business

Dave Portnoy backs Pizza Hut rebrand as 'sensible -...

Tesla feature at center of nearly 3 | Business

Tesla feature at center of nearly 3 - Business...

Jeff Bezos’ ex MacKenzie Scott wrote new Substack | Business

Jeff Bezos' ex MacKenzie Scott wrote new Substack -...