Letitia James makes it quite clear — there are no – Latest News
In the face of surging antisemitism throughout New York state — fueled by incessant unlawful demonstrations in assist of terrorist teams like Hamas and Hezbollah — Attorney General Letitia James jumped into the fray to prosecute . . . Jews.
James’ workplace introduced final week that she’s concluded an settlement with Betar — a small and obscure Zionist group that advocates for Jewish security and self-determination — forcing it to stop operations in New York.
The AG says Betar engaged in a “campaign of violence, harassment, and intimidation against Arab, Muslim, and Jewish New Yorkers.”
Among the group’s actions had been counter-protesting at pro-Palestine demonstrations, bestowing mock beepers on pro-Hamas protesters to taunt them about Israel’s pager assaults and making vulgar, slur-filled “public and private statements.”
James’ workplace subpoenaed Betar members’ textual content messages and combed via them searching for nasty language, which the AG then proffered as proof of the group’s quasi-criminal profile.
Worst of all, says the AG, Betar known as on supporters to “fight back” at an anti-Zionist protest known as “Flood Boro Park” final February.
That demonstration, organized by Pal-Awda — the identical group that chanted “We support Hamas here!” exterior a Queens synagogue this month — was named in honor of the “Al-Aqsa Flood,” Hamas’ code identify for its savage Oct. 7 incursion into Israel.
Borough Park is a well-known Brooklyn enclave of Orthodox Jews; more than half its population is Jewish: Organizing a whole bunch of people to go there particularly to protest Israel was no random act.
That is, it’s not just like the “Flood Boro Park” occasion carried peaceful overtones or promised to be a love-in.
Indeed, a whole bunch of pro-Palestine demonstrators gathered there to scream “filthy Zionist a–holes” at Jews on the road and threaten to kill them and chanted, “There is only solution, Intifada revolution!”
Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-Brooklyn), the House minority chief, denounced the protest as “egregious behavior . . . clearly designed to intimidate and harass Jews.”
“It should come as a shock to no one that the pro-Hamas mob targeting Jews and promising to ‘flood’ Boro Park has descended into violence,” commented Rep. Ritchie Torres (D-Bronx).
According to James, nonetheless, brawls that broke out at this occasion had been completely the fault of Betar — regardless that the one individual charged with violent assault that evening was on the pro-Hamas aspect.
This state has seen actually a whole bunch of anti-Israel protests since Oct. 7 — shows marked by screaming activists blocking streets and bridges, taking on buildings, occupying campus quads and chasing Jewish college students into hiding.
They have staged protests exterior synagogues, waved the flags of Hamas and Hezbollah, raised photos of terrorist leaders and produced maps of “enemy” establishments.
They have invaded memorial vigils for the victims of Oct. 7, utilizing these events of sorrow to rejoice the assault and hoist indicators studying, “Glory to the Martyrs; Victory to the Resistance.”
These protests have contributed to a scary, well-documented rise in antisemitic assaults and violence.
Groups akin to Within Our Lifetime, Code Pink, Columbia University Apartheid Divest, Students for Justice in Palestine, The People’s Forum and plenty of others haven’t been shy about selling chaos and violence and “chilling” the free expression of speech, as James complains about Betar.
Get opinions and commentary from our columnists
Subscribe to our day by day Post Opinion publication!
Thanks for signing up!
But out of all the things that’s occurred in New York in these final two years, the legal professional basic determined an obscure Jewish group is the actual downside.
Antisemites on social media are gloating and chuckling in regards to the dissolution of Betar, saying it proves how peaceable and righteous the anti-Zionist motion has been.
Take be aware: Betar didn’t go to Muslim neighborhoods and begin fights, or protest exterior mosques; its members by no means harassed random Muslims in public.
They solely acted as counter-protesters at pro-Hamas demonstrations.
James has been sitting on this settlement with Betar for months, and its release simply two weeks after Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s inauguration is no coincidence: It’s a reward to him, a signal that she’s on board along with his program of demonizing Israel.
The AG has despatched a clear signal that there are no limits to denouncing or harassing Jews in New York.
You solely risk bother if you happen to dare to push back.
Seth Barron is a member of The Post Editorial Board. His subsequent e-book, “Weaponized,” shall be revealed in April.
