CBS urges FCC to reject complaint over ’60 | Business

Date:

CBS urges FCC to reject complaint over ’60 – Business News

Banner Ad


CBS on Monday urged the Federal Communications Commission to reject a complaint over a “60 Minutes” interview with then-Vice President Kamala Harris, saying the agency has no lawful role in policing broadcast news editorial decisions.

CBS, which is owned by Paramount Global, said sanctioning the company over the interview “would blatantly violate the First Amendment by substituting the government’s editorial judgment for that of CBS and its journalists.”

A complaint alleges the interview violates the FCC’s rules on “news distortion.” The network broadcast a portion of the vice president’s answer on “Face the Nation” and a different one on “60 Minutes.”

CBS, which is owned by Paramount Global, said sanctioning the company over the interview “would blatantly violate the First Amendment.” Kamala Harris interview on “60 Minutes” in October. 60 Minutes / CBS

“CBS engaged in ordinary editorial decision-making that involved no ‘distortion’,” the company said, adding that the FCC complaint “completely disregards both the letter and the spirit of the Commission’s news distortion policy.”

CBS turned over the unredacted video and transcript to the FCC that made it public as did the broadcaster.

Last month, FCC Commissioner Anna Gomez, a Democrat, said the Republican-led agency is seeking to bully major US broadcasters by reinstating a series of complaints.

She said the “60 Minutes” interview did not violate commission rules and said other complaints were improperly reinstated against Walt Disney’s and Comcast’s NBC.

FCC Chair Brendan Carr did not immediately comment.

Paramount is seeking FCC approval for an $8.4-billion merger with Skydance Media. FCC Chair Brendan Carr, above. AFP via Getty Images

President Donald Trump has sued CBS for $20 billion over the broadcast. Media reports have said Paramount representatives were in settlement talks to resolve the Trump lawsuit.

Paramount is seeking FCC approval for an $8.4-billion merger with Skydance Media.

Last month, the FCC reinstated complaints about the “60 Minutes” interview with Harris as well as about how ABC News moderated the pre-election TV debate between then-President Joe Biden and Trump, as well as against NBC for letting Harris appear on “Saturday Night Live” just before the election she lost to Trump. The prior FCC chair had rejected those complaints.

Clickable Banner
CWP (Crypto Work Pro)
CWP (Crypto Work Pro)https://www.cryptoworkpro.net
Hi, I’m a passionate cryptocurrency enthusiast with 10 years of experience in the world of digital currencies. I’ve always been fascinated by blockchain technology and the potential of decentralized finance (DeFi) to reshape the financial landscape. I share insights, tips, and strategies to help others navigate the fast-paced world of crypto.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Meta aimed to ‘hook’ teens on Facebook and | Business

Meta aimed to 'hook' teens on Facebook and -...

Amazon joins other tech giants in buying books to | Business

Amazon joins other tech giants in buying books to...

American Airlines to outfit narrow-body jets with | Business

American Airlines to outfit narrow-body jets with - Business...

Publisher halts sales of disgraced writer Ross | Business

Publisher halts sales of disgraced writer Ross - Business...

Gayle King ‘not happy’ about Norah O’Donnell’s | Business

Gayle King 'not completely satisfied' about Norah O'Donnell's -...

Iconic Fireman Hospitality files for bankruptcy — | Business

Iconic Fireman Hospitality files for bankruptcy -- - Business...

Costco to start selling Medicare plans to bring | Business

Costco to start selling Medicare plans to bring -...

CBS News boss Bari Weiss has big plans for Norah | Business

CBS News boss Bari Weiss has big plans for...